Hatch Library used to be very overwhelming, now that I have been shown how to navigate through it as well as the databases contained within the site, it is not something that scares me as much as it used to. I think that the lesson that I have learned from all of this internet searching is that you can not expect your students to initially find what you ask of them unless you first teach them and show them the tools necessary in order for them to do so successfully. You can not always assume that everyone is on the same academic/experience level in regards to anything when it comes to teaching, over-teaching and repetition is better than not teaching at all.
I have learned that there is WAY more information on the internet than I ever realized. I knew that there was a lot out there, but I feel like I have always limited myself to the same sites out of the minimal comfort and familiarity that I had with them and because of this, I never felt as though there was a reason for me to change my habits. Now I am realizing that when given the tools to properly search any given topic it becomes remarkably easier to find not only what you are looking for, but a CREDIBLE, VALID website that gives you ACCURATE information. While doing a search you are going to find your answer and what you are looking for, you just need to make sure that the information is not unfounded and published by just anyone.
It is unfortunate that not all databases are free and that they can not always be accessed by anoyone and it takes a bit of practice in order to become comfortable with their use. However, selecting one database that is relevant to either your career or interests and subscribing for a small free is worth it. I am currently searching for an educational database related specifically to teachers/teaching. If anyone know of one and would like to share it, I would grealy appreciate your advice.
* In my searching I found a single page excerpt published in 1939 describing the same issues that we face today in exposing our students to literatures and periodicals http://www.jstor.org/pss/806192 you can subscribe to get the full article, however, I feel that the one page sums up many of our frustrations.
Saturday, March 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment